The Workforce Assistance Center is open. We are taking every measure possible to shift previous in-person services to via phone, email or online. Our Resource Room remains open by appointment only. Specialist of the Day and Eligibility will be provided via phone. We are working toward offering workshops online. We will keep you informed as they become available.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 559-662-4500.
As of March 17, 2020, EDD services are temporarily closed to in-person services. If you have lost your job, have had your hours reduced, or have been impacted by school closures for reasons related to COVID-19, you may be eligible for unemployment insurance. Please call 559-479-4892 or email WSBMADERAREFERRALS@edd.ca.gov for assistance. You may file a claim online, by phone, or pick up an application at the Center by appointment only.
- Online: Visit edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/Filing_a_Claim.htm
- By-phone: Representatives are available at the following toll-free numbers, Monday through Friday from 8 am to Noon
- English: 1-800-300-5616
- Spanish: 1-800-326-8937
- TTY: 1-800-815-9387
- By Appointment: Call 559-662-4500
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS TO WORKERS IMPACTED BY COVID-19
Effective April 1, all employees at businesses with 500 employees or less are eligible for the Families First Coronavirus Response Act. Under FFCRA, employees may be entitled to two weeks (up to 80 hours) of emergency paid sick leave and up to an additional 10 weeks of expanded paid family and medical leave if you are unable to work or telework because:
- You are subject to a quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19;
- A health care provider advised you to self-quarantine due to concerns about COVID-19;
- You are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and seeking a medical diagnosis;
- You are caring for an individual who is subject to an order related to COVID-19;
- You are caring for your son or daughter if school or the place of care has been closed, or the childcare provider is unavailable due to COVID-19 precautions; or
- You are experiencing substantially similar conditions specified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services.
Even if your employer already provides paid sick leave benefits to employees, this federal entitlement is in addition to whatever leave you already have. Paid sick leave is paid at your regular rate of pay for reasons #1-3 above; up to $511 daily and $5,110 total and at two-thirds your regular rate of pay for reasons #4-6 above; up to $200 daily and $2,000 total over the 2-week period. An additional 10 weeks of paid expanded family and medical leave is paid at two-thirds of your regular rate of pay for reason #5 above; up to $200 daily and $12,000 total over the 12-week period.
If you or a family member are sick or if you need to take time off for preventive care, you may use accumulated paid sick leave that your employer has provided to you. www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/paid_sick_leave.htm
If you are providing care for an ill or quarantined family member, you may be eligible for paid family leave. www.edd.ca.gov/disability/Am_I_Eligible_for_PFL_Benefits.htm
If you are unable to work due to medical quarantine or illness related to COVID-19 (certified by a medical professional) you may be eligible for disability benefits. www.edd.ca.gov/disability/am_i_eligible_for_di_benefits.htm
If you were exposed to COVID-19 while on the job and in the course of your regular duties, you may qualify for workers’ compensation.
OTHER WORKER RESOURCES
- Sign up for CalJOBs at caljobs.ca.gov to review local job openings and receive information about helpful programs and services.
- We are closely monitoring for additional emergency benefits to workers impacted by this health crisis and will provide updates and information on our website and social media platforms as it becomes available.
Madera County COVID-19 Updates: https://www.maderacounty.com/government/public-health/corona-virus-covid-19/covid-revised
Employee Resources: https://maderacountyedc.com/covid-19-employee-resource-list.html
Business Resources: https://maderacountyedc.com/covid-19-business-resources.html
Small Business Administration: https://www.sba.gov/offices/district/ca/fresno